The University of Washington acknowledges the Coast Salish People of this land, the land which touches the shared waters of all tribes and bands within the Suquamish, Tulalip, and Muckleshoot nations.
The School of Art + Art History + Design fosters a respectful, inclusive community that supports creative and critical expression and scholarship amidst a culture that accepts the value of every individual. The School encourages students, faculty, and staff to engage in healthy dialogue and respect the values and global perspectives of a diverse population. The School’s commitment to diversity extends to the recruitment of faculty, staff, and students who exhibit a dedication to creative and academic excellence and who demonstrate the ability to work with a diverse spectrum of populations.
In concurrence with the University of Washington’s core values, the School promotes and encourages a culture of compassion, understanding, and an obligation to respectful discourse in classrooms, meeting rooms, studio spaces, and beyond. The School’s philosophy is reflected in our engagement with community partners and research endeavors locally, nationally, and globally.
In Spring 2015, UW President Ana Mari Cauce launched a Race and Equity Initiative, which charged students, faculty, staff, and university leadership to:
- take personal responsibility for addressing our own biases and improving our university culture
- combat racism and inequities, both individual and institutional, that persist here and throughout our society
The Diversity Blueprint was developed by the UW Diversity Council, which was formed and charged to advise the VP of Minority Affairs and Diversity and Chief Diversity Officer on campus diversity issues. The goals identified for 2017-21 include:
- Cultivate an inclusive campus climate
- Attract, retain and graduate a diverse and excellent student body
- Attract and retain a diverse faculty
- Attract and retain a diverse staff
- Assess tri-campus diversity needs
- Improve accountability and transparency
Looking for OMA&D, the Q Center, the UW Business Diversity, and more? Go here.
Reference and resource materials
Looking for reference and resource materials? Go here.
Vocabulary + Glossaries + Definitions
Looking for vocabulary, glossaries, and definitions? Go here.
Podcasts + Videos + Media
For podcasts, videos, and media library, please go here.
Looking for a library of suggested books and articles? Go here.
A complete digest of DEI+A articles is available here.
- Faculty Diversity Falling Behind Student Diversity
- What Does Indigenous Reclamation Mean?
- From DEI to JEDI
- Are Your Institution's Diversity and Equity Efforts Cosmetic or Courageous?
- What Can Universities Do to Combat Anti-Asian Racism?
- Chicanx Printmaking Exhibition Looks to Expand Who Tells US History
- Native Knowledge
- Reconciliation Through Indigenous Education
- Black History Month Challenge
- What does being Queer look like to you?
- List of 1,000 inspiring Black scientists includes seven from UW
- UW Launches Faculty Diversity Initiative
- Why We Can't Let the Current Moment of Change Through our Fingers
- Study reveals gender bias in TA evaluations
- Microaggressions aren't just innocent blunders—new research links them with racial bias