The 1935-1936 edition of the Annual Catalogue of the University of Washington is where first mention of the School of Art is found. Prior to that, the existence of an Art Department or a Painting, Sculpture and Design (PS&D) Department came and went. A Department of Art is listed in the first printed annual catalog for the university, 1890-1891.
The name change to School of Art + Art History + Design was originally proposed by Christopher Ozubko, who was director of the school from 1996 to 2014. The name change was officially approved in spring 2015.
*Began in 1923 as Chair of Painting, Sculpture and Design (PS&D), which was part of the College of Fine Arts. That College was dissolved in the second half of 1935, and PS&D became the School of Art within the University College.
|Robert C. Jones