Eligibililty guidelines for students wishing to enter the Bachelor of Design (BDes) program:
- If you are a current UW freshman:
- You must take DESIGN 166, Design Foundations.
- DESIGN 166 is offered during both winter and spring quarters.
- All students who receive a 3.7 or above in DESIGN 166 are automatically accepted into the BDes program beginning autumn quarter.
- Students who receive less than a 3.7 in DESIGN 166 must submit a BDes application form by 5pm PDT on June 13, 2020.
- 3.00 minimum GPA is required for admission to the program.
- If you are a transfer student or post-bac student (note that students from UW Bothell or UW Tacoma are classified as transfer students):
- You must apply for admission to the University of Washington for Autumn quarter and submit a BDes application form by 5pm PDT on June 13, 2020.
- You may not enroll in DESIGN 166 on the UW Seattle campus.
Please read our Undergraduate Application page for complete information about the BDes application process.
Each year, through DESIGN 166 and the application process, the Design faculty select approximately 55–60 students for the Bachelor of Design program. These new students enter into a year-long sophomore curriculum — a series of six courses that address broad themes and issues in design concepts, methods, and values.
At the end of the sophomore year, the students submit their preference for a specific major: Visual Communication Design, Industrial Design, or Interaction Design. Read more about the selection process.
BDes students must maintain satisfactory progress throughout their sophomore year. A grade of lower than 2.5 will result in a meeting between the student and faculty to review the student’s performance and to discuss whether appropriate progress can be achieved.
We invite you to attend a Preview session for advising and information about the programs, and opportunities for majors in School of Art + Art History + Design.