Eligibililty guidelines for students wishing to enter the Bachelor of Design program at UW:
- If you are a current UW freshman:
- Current UW students must take DESIGN 166, Design Foundations to be eligible to apply to the Design program
- DESIGN 166 is offered during both Winter and Spring quarters
- All students who receive a 3.7 or above in DESIGN 166 are automatically accepted into the Design major begining the following Autumn quarter
- Students who receive less than a 3.7 in DESIGN 166 may participate in the annual UW Design Entrance Workshop in June
- 3.00 minimum GPA is required for admission to the program
- If you are a transfer student or post-bac student (note that students from UW Bothell or UW Tacoma are classified as transfer students):
- Transfer or post-bac students must apply for admission to the University of Washington for Autumn quarter and complete the annual UW Design Entrance Workshop in June prior to their Autumn quarter start date
- Transfer or post-bac students may not enroll in DESIGN 166 on the UW Seattle campus
- Please note that the UW Design program can only consider transfer and post-bac students who apply to the University of Washington for Autumn quarter admission and concurrently complete the UW Design Entrance Workshop in June of that year
At the UW Design Entrance Workshop in June, students will complete a series of design problems and exercises, and submit a written application comprised of the following elements:
- Five to ten samples of previous design work
- A letter of intention outlining your interest in the field of design
- A resume summarizing your educational and extracurricular experiences
- All college transcripts (unofficial transcripts accepted)
Please visit the UW Design Entrance Workshop page for more information.
After the Entrance Workshop in June, Design faculty will select approximately 55-60 students to populate all Design majors (VCD, ID and IxD). These new Design students will enter into a year-long sophomore Design curriculum — a series of six courses that addresses broad themes and issues in design concepts, methods and values.
At the end of the sophomore year, all Design sophomores will be selected into the specific Design majors (VCD, ID and IxD) based on a faculty review of their interests and demonstrated abilities.
Please note that Design students must maintain satisfactory progress throughout this sophomore year. A minimum grade of 2.5 is a benchmark for the Design major. A grade of lower than 2.5 will result in a meeting between the student and the Design faculty to review the student’s performance in the class, and to discuss whether appropriate progress through the Design major can be achieved.
We invite you to attend a Preview session for advising and information about the programs, enrichments, and opportunities for majors in School of Art + Art History + Design.