The BA in Art with a 3D4M (3-Dimensional Forum) concentration focuses on the study of Ceramics, Glass, and Sculpture. The mission of this program is to explore interdisciplinary exchanges that revolve around material study, concept, and critical dialogue in a studio-based environment. Classes are taught in the Art Building, and at the 3D4M Studio (located at the Ceramics and Metal Arts Building) where there are extensive facilities for ceramics, glass, wood and metal fabrication. The CMA also houses a foundry, digital imaging center, and two galleries.
Admission to the BA in Art is based on completion of prerequisite courses and GPA.
Information about Honors in Art.
The following classes are recommended for the BA in Art 3D4M concentration:
Introductory Art (20 cr)
ART classes in bold are prerequisites for 300 level classes in the 3D4M concentration.
- ART 101 Narratives in Art & Design
- ART 140 Basic Photo
- ART 190 Beg Drawing
- ART 191 Color Studies
- ART 233 Intro to Glass
- ART 240 Interm Photo I
- ART 245 Concepts in Printmaking
- ART 246 Works on Paper
- ART 253 Intro to Ceramics
- ART 260 Intro to Contemporary Art
- ART 272 Intro to Sculpture
- ART 290 Figure Drawing
- ART 292 Beg Painting
3D4M Concentration (35 cr)
Complete 20 credits of 300-levels:
- ART 333 New Materials & Processes in Glass 5 cr, max 15 cr (prereq: ART 233)
- ART 353 Interm Ceramic Art 5 cr, max 15 cr (prereq ART 253)
- ART 372 Interm Approaches to Sculpture 5 cr, max 15 cr (prereq ART 272)
Complete 15 credits of ART 453:
- ART 453 Sr 3D4M Studio
ART HISTORY (15 CR; TO INCLUDE 5 CR 300-LEVEL)
Completing one 200-level art history writing class in your first year as an Art major is highly recommended. Classes marked * satisfy UW writing requirement. Art History classes also satisfy VLPA and/or I&S and credits outside the major of Art.
- AH 200 Athena to Lady Gaga: Art in the Modern Imagination
- AH 201 Survey of Western Art: Ancient
- AH 203 Survey of Western Art: Modern*
- AH 204 Art History & Visual Culture*
- AH 209 Topic: Art Now*
- AH 212 Chinese Art & Visual Culture*
- AH 214 Art of India: Mohenjo-Daro to the Mughals*
- AH 220 American Art
- AH 233 Survey Native Art of the PNW
- AH 270 Contemporary Art & Identity
- AH 272 History of Photography
- AH 273 Impressionism
- AH 290 History of Architecture
- AH 309 Topics in Art History
- AH 310 Chinese Art & Archaeology: Neolithic to Han Dynasty
- AH 311 Arts of Imperial China
- AH 312 Art & Empire in India 1750-1900
- AH 314 Modern & Contemp Art in India
- AH 361 Italian Renaissance Art
- AH 373 Southern Baroque Art
- AH 380 19th & 20th-Century Art
- AH 381 Art Since WW II
- AH 390 American Architecture Though an Ecological Lens
- AH 391 Paris Architecture
Please note: Courses listed above are not necessarily offered each quarter - check the online quarterly time schedule for current class listings, prerequisites, and/or recommended background.
To graduate with an undergraduate degree from the University of Washington, students must successfully complete at least 180 course credits: a combination of major requirements (listed above), UW general education requirements, and electives.