The Photo/Media concentration emphasizes a wide range of conceptual and technical practices in contemporary art with an emphasis on photography, video, mixed media, installation and related media. The program supports experimentation and develops critical thinking; required readings, lectures, art and art history coursework introduce historical and contemporary perspectives. Available facilities include two experimental galleries, computer lab, lighting studio, B/W darkroom, large printers and a sound studio.
Admission to the BA in Art is based on completion of prerequisite courses and GPA.
Please note: For students who are already declared majors (prior to Winter 2018) in the 3D4M BFA, Photomedia BFA, P+D BFA , P+D BA, or IVA BA programs, please see your Degree Audit Report for current degree information. Current majors and new BA in Art majors are welcome to contact Advising for more information: email@example.com
The following classes are recommended for the BA in Art Photo/Media concentration:
Introductory Art (20 cr)
ART classes in bold are prerequisites for 300 level classes in the Photo/Media concentration.
- ART 101 Narratives in Art & Design
- ART 140 Basic Photo
- ART 190 Beg Drawing
- ART 191 Color Studies
- ART 233 Intro to Glass
- ART 240 Interm Photo I
- ART 242 Interm Photo III
- ART 245 Concepts in Printmaking
- ART 246 Works on Paper
- ART 253 Intro to Ceramics
- ART 260 Intro to Contemporary Art
- ART 272 Intro to Sculpture
- ART 290 Figure Drawing
- ART 292 Beg Painting
Photo/Media Concentration (35 cr)
All 15 credits of ART 340 must be completed before enrolling in the capstone class, ART 440.
- ART 340 Adv Photomedia, 15 cr
- ART 300/400 electives (ART 361 Critical Issues in Contemporary Art, faculty recommendation), 5 cr
- ART 440 Senior Studio Photo, 15 cr
Art History (15 cr; to include 5 cr 300-level)
Completing one 200-level art history writing class in your first year as an Art major is highly recommended. Classes marked * satisfy UW writing requirement. Art History classes also satisfy VLPA and/or I&S and credits outside the major of Art.
- AH 200 Athena to Lady Gaga: Art in the Modern Imagination
- AH 201 Survey of Western Art: Ancient
- AH 203 Survey of Western Art: Modern*
- AH 204 Art History & Visual Culture*
- AH 209 Topic: Art Now*
- AH 212 Chinese Art & Visual Culture*
- AH 214 Art of India: Mohenjo-Daro to the Mughals*
- AH 220 American Art
- AH 233 Survey Native Art of the PNW
- AH 270 Contemporary Art & Identity
- AH 272 History of Photography
- AH 273 Impressionism
- AH 290 History of Architecture
- AH 309 Topics in Art History
- AH 310 Chinese Art & Archaeology: Neolithic to Han Dynasty
- AH 311 Arts of Imperial China
- AH 312 Art & Empire in India 1750-1900
- AH 314 Modern & Contemp Art in India
- AH 361 Italian Renaissance Art
- AH 373 Southern Baroque Art
- AH 380 19th & 20th-Century Art
- AH 381 Art Since WW II
- AH 390 American Architecture Though an Ecological Lens
- AH 391 Paris Architecture
Please note: Courses listed above are not necessarily offered each quarter - check the online quarterly time schedule for current class listings, prerequisites, and/or recommended background.
To graduate with an undergraduate degree from the University of Washington, students must successfully complete at least 180 course credits: a combination of major requirements (listed above), general education requirements, and electives.